Monti al Mare
This blend has ripe cherry and candied raspberry flavors with hints of caramel and warm baking spices. As a homage to the beautiful region, which Cellardoor calls home, Monti al Mare, “Mountains to Sea” will remind you of your vineyard visit.
37% Cabernet Sauvignon
12% Petite Sirah
Sangiovese: Amador Foot Hills, California and De Palma Vineyards, Manteca, California
Cabernet Sauvignon: Les Collines Vineyard, Walla Walla AVA, Washington
Petite Sirah: DeLu Ranches, Alta Mesa Area, North East of Lodi, California
WINEMAKER NOTES: “Super Tuscan” wines became popular in the 1970s when some Tuscan producers came to believe that the rules governing Tuscan wines were too strict and did not allow them to make the high-quality wines they desired to make. Super Tuscan wines now fall under the legal IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica) appellation and winemakers can blend the high acid, low alcohol Sangiovese with lower acid, fuller bodied, higher alcohol varieties.
For us, the 2013 vintage turned that concept on its head. Since our Sangiovese from California and our Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington came in very ripe we needed something to balance the blend. The temperatures in Lodi, CA were much more moderate this vintage than usual and our Petite Sirah finished fermenting with surprisingly low alcohol making it a perfect complement to the Sangiovese and Cabernet. For oak, we chose to age just over half in neutral and 1 year French/American hybrid barrels to provide hints of baking spice, while respecting the fruit. For the rest, we chose mostly new Kentucky American oak for a warming touch of cocoa and caramel to round out the bouquet.
- Best Italian Varietal Blend – Double Gold – 2017 San Francisco International Wine Competition – 96 Points
- Gold – 2016 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition
- Anthony Dias Blue 2017 Reviews – 90 Points
- Silver – 2017 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
- Silver – 2017 Great American International Wine Competition
- Silver – 2016 LA International Wine Competition
- Cheese:Mozzarella, Ricotta, Provolone, Parmesan Reggiano